PhD student for the NCN OPUS 23 project “Extreme weather events in the Malay Archipelago. Perspective on tropical waves, atmosphere-ocean interactions and intraseasonal variability”.
Institution: Institute of Geophysics, Polish Academy of Sciences
Scientific discipline: earth and environmental sciences
Date of announcement: 08.09.2023
Deadline for submission of offers: 09.10.2023
Keywords: extreme precipitation, tropical meteorology, meteorological measurements, atmosphere-ocean interactions, predictors, satellite data, reanalysis of meteorological and oceanographic data
We are offering a doctoral student position within the NCN OPUS 23 research project “Extreme weather events in the Malay Archipelago. A perspective on tropical waves, atmosphere-ocean interactions and intraseasonal variability”.
The project will be carried out in the Department of Atmospheric Physics, under the direction of Dr. Dariusz Baranowski, project manager.
- Analysis of satellite data and from reanalysis of atmospheric and oceanographic data to identify variability characteristic of the occurrence of extreme precipitation in the Malay Archipelago,
- analysis of data from the measurement network in Sumatra (meteorological data) toward the identification of extreme precipitation,
- identification of predictors of extreme precipitation on sub-seasonal (a few days to a few weeks) time scales based on analysis of large- and mesocal circulation in the atmosphere and ocean,
- testing the quality of forecasts of extreme precipitation based on predictors related to large- and mesoscale circulation in the atmosphere and ocean,
- presentation of research results at international conferences,
- preparation of publications.
- Master’s degree in physics, oceanography, geophysics, mathematics, geography, meteorology, climatology or related fields
- Knowledge of methods for conducting meteorological measurements and studying data quality
- knowledge of methods of analyzing measurement data
- ability to work with large data sets
- knowledge of data processing methods to identify physical processes (e.g., clustering, compositing; knowledge of ML/AI methods will be a plus)
- knowledge of programming environments such as MATLAB, Python, IDL, R or related (of choice)
- Fluency in spoken and written English
Terms of Employment:
The PhD student will be a participant in the Doctoral Program at IGF PAN. The PhD student will receive a doctoral stipend for a period of 36 months.
Salary: PLN 5,000.00 gross including employer’s expenses, which is approximately PLN 3690 net per month.
Expected start date: October 2023.
How to apply: Participation in the Geoplanet Doctoral School of the Institute of Geophysics of the Polish Academy of Sciences is a prerequisite for employment. The required documents should be sent electronically in one PDF file (by e-mail) only to: email@example.com
Documents required for submission:
(a) Cover letter
b) Curriculum vitae with particular emphasis on previous scientific activities
c) A copy of the diploma of completion of a unified master’s degree or second degree, or the candidate’s statement that he/she expects to have completed his/her studies by the closing date of the recruitment process
d) Letter of recommendation with contact information of the person issuing the letter (INCLUDING MAIL ADDRESS)
e) Scholarship application, according to the template provided in the announcement.
For additional information, please contact Dr. Dariusz Baranowski: firstname.lastname@example.org tel. 22 -6915-741.
The consideration and selection of the candidate will take place by 11.10.2023. Candidates will be notified of the results by email. The recruitment process will be carried out in accordance with the Rules and Regulations for Recruitment to Doctoral Studies in Geophysics at IGF PAN, as well as the Rules and Regulations for the Awarding of Research Fellowships for Young Scientists in Research Projects and the Rules and Regulations for the Awarding of Research Fellowships for Young Scientists in Doctoral Fellowships, Funded by the National Science Center, attached to the announcement of the competition within OPUS23.